Do you want to be part FOR FREE of the biggest filmmakers’ community in the world?
Do you want to come in Italy, next summer? You will be our guest.
Just send the request to our site: http://www.cinemadamare.com/en/sign-up/
During our 16 Editions, we have been hosting thousands of students FOR FREE from all over the world. You can listen to their opinion on the experience they have lived with CinemadaMare in this video.
In the link you’ll find selection of interviews of some participants: to underline the international approach of the program, first they speak in their mother tongue, and later they speak in English.
We are writing from Cinemadamare – the biggest gathering of young filmmakers in the world.
This is an itinerant and international campus: each year it hosts over 200 filmmakers from all over the world, who come to Italy to shoot films from June to September. It lasts 80 days and crosses 14 Italian Regions, along 5,200 km, stopping in the most beautiful locations in Italy each week.
The filmmakers will be hosted for free for the entire length of the festival in schools used as hostels (each participant will be given a mattress); they will shoot their film each week, organized in self-managed crews. Moreover, filmmakers will be able to attend free of charge activities, such as workshops and masterclasses.
If you have made a film, you can send it to our Main Competition (the deadline for sending films is April 30th, 2019) – Competition of films sent throughout the year.
You can find the entry form on our website www.cinemadamare.com, along with the regulation to comply with, in order to submit your film for free and participate as a filmmaker.
Therefore, our task is to identify the best cinema institutions from all over the world, as yours is.
Said that, here our “policy”, that it’s possible to make in practice only thanks to the cultural and professional experience the young filmmakers learn following schools and universities as yours. Without this experience, they would not be able to make the most of the experience we propose, which is:
1) to maximise the personal initiative, independence and creativity of our hosted filmmakers, that have the chance to live, for a period of time, in a community of 100 people;
2) to redefine constantly learning parameters by putting our programme in an extremely International scenario as Cinemadamare, as we live in a world that changes so quickly;
3) to reach high quality standard in our film enhancing our slogan “more collaboration, less competition”. This is possible thanks to Cinemadamare way of living and shooting films, exalting the sense of community and the flexibility of the persons;
4) to encourage artistic freedom, self-confidence and individuality within a community of colleagues of the same age; in fact, each filmmaker doesn’t live and act in loneliness but he/she is part of a group which promote his/her social skills. The aim is to make happen the ideal conditions to let the talent express itself thanks to “the comparisons among similar people that share the same goals and are looking for their own future”;
5) to exalt their spirit of initiative, organizational and creativity skills, and sense of responsibility, each filmmaker has only one task to respect, even keeping their huge freedom: to participate, in the role of his/her choice participate, in the weekly production of short films, the limit experience enhancing art, creativity and their own sensitivity.
- Joining Cinemadamare (CdM) is FREE OF CHARGE. There are no registration fees, joining fees, accommodation fees or transfer fees with CdM; the filmmakers just have to provide for their own meals.
- We host for free filmmakers from all over the world (directors, actors, scriptwriters, sound technicians, DoPs, executive producers, editors, make-up artists, etc.)
- Every year we host for free for the entire festival about 300 filmmakers from more than 60 Countries from all the continents (max. 100 at the same time).
- Cinemadamare is the biggest gathering of young filmmaker in the world, an international travelling campus.
- CdM is a travelling event which takes place in Italy and it’s now at its 17th edition.
- It is the longest travel for cinema… 5,200 Km in 12 weeks.
- 12 weeks and 12 stops, from 15th June to 7th September 2019
- It starts in Rome in June and ends in Venice in September, during the Venice Film Festival.
- The filmmakers shoot their films during the tour every week, max. 10 minutes. Every week there is a competition with winners and prizes.
- Every week there are workshops and masterclasses.
- Cinemadamare has agreements and partnerships with several film schools and universities around the world.
- The participant filmmakers can win a scholarship to attend for free some courses in film school and universities from all over the world.
- The first day of every new stop, at 10 in the morning, there is a PRODUCTION MEETING: all the filmmakers talk about the films they want to make that week and what they need in order to do it
- The main activity all the day (and sometimes at night, too) is MAKING FILMS: the 100 filmmakers we host at the same time (about 300 during the entire period of 2 months and a half) every week shoot their films which will be screened the last day of that stop, during the Weekly Competition. For all the 12 weeks, the filmmakers will be busy shooting their films.
- Twice a week WORKSHOPS and MASTERCLASSES are held by famous professionals of the international cinema. In the last years, we hosted Wim Wenders, Ken Loach, Giuseppe Tornatore, Amos Gitai, Paolo Sorrentino, Margarethe Von Trotta, Marco Bellocchio, Krisztof Zanussi, Mohsen Makhamalbaf and others.
- Every night, at 21, OPEN-AIR CINEMA: for all the 12 weeks (80 days) CinemadaMare will screen for free in the main squares professional films with the presence of some special guests. Everyone can join, from the filmmakers to the citizen of the town that hosts us.
- On the last night of the week, our WEEKLY COMPETITION takes place (one every week). During this night we screen all the films (about 20) shot by our 100 filmmakers during that week. At the end of this competition we will award the best film. The day after we leave for another stop, where all the format is reiterated.
CinemadaMare was born 17 years ago in order to be a reference point for young filmmakers from all over the world. Then, since the first edition, CdM has always supported the education and productions of a new generation of filmmakers from all over the world. For what concerns the educational point of view, we have developed the idea of “bringing education on the set”.
For what concerns the production, in fact, Cinemadamare creates an environment where the enthusiasm, the sensitivity and the skills of all 100 filmmakers produce a really lively place where to share ideas on filmmaking.
Following, you will find our policy:
1) Our goal is to maximise the personal initiative, independence and creativity of our filmmakers, who have the chance to live in a community of 100 people;
2) In a world that is quickly changing, we constantly redefine learning parameters by putting our programme in an extremely International environment, as Cinemadamare is;
3) The films shot during Cinemadamare have really high quality standards, due to our motto “more collaboration, less competition”, enhancing the idea of sharing and living together;
4) We encourage artistic freedom, self-confidence and professional individuality within a community of colleagues of the same age; in fact, each filmmaker doesn’t live and act in loneliness but he/she is part of a group which develops his/her social skills. The aim is to create the ideal conditions to let the talent express itself, with “the comparisons among similar people that share the same goals and who are looking for their own future”;
5) In order to enhance spirit of initiative, organizational and creativity skills and sense of responsibility, each filmmaker has only one task to respect: to participate, in the role he/she wants, in the weekly production of short films.
6) Everything we do wants to promote the collective creation of a film: we want the filmmakers to share their expertise, because we truly believe that cinema is the product of a community who works together.
7) in our programme we eliminate the useless intermediators who affect the world cinema market.
Futhermore, we offer to some of the participants of the current edition the possibility to win scholarships of the best Universities or Schools of Cinema: these are the cinema institutions which will give the oppurtunity to all the filmmakers to be winner of a scholarship around the world:
▪ The Centro Sperimentale di Cinema, sited in Rome;
▪ The Santa Monica College, Los Angeles, California;
▪ The Jakarta Institute of the Arts, Faculty of Film and Television;
▪ Gpay Agrica – Kenya;
▪ The Esdi, School of Design of Barcelona;
▪ The Prague Film School – Czech Republic;
▪ The School of Youth Cinema – Sudan;
▪ Sudan Film Factory
▪ The Digital Africa Media Institute
▪ The Lusophone University of Arts and Technology – Lisbon, Portugal;
▪ The Sorbonne University – Paris, France
▪ The Bratislava Academy Of Performing Arts – Slovakia;
▪ The School of New Cinema – Moscow;
▪ The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Faculty of Fine Arts – Greece;
▪ The Iulm (Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione) – Milan, Italy;
▪ UNINT Università degli Studi Internazionali – Rome, Italy;
▪ Università degli studi di Suororsola Benincasa – Naples, Italy
▪ Conservatorio di Musica Giuseppe Martucci – Salerno, Italy
▪ The American University of Technology – Halat, Lebanon
▪ The Luca School of Arts, Brussel – Belgium
▪ Ismac – Higher Institute of Audiovisual and Cinema Professional Rabat, Morocco
Visit our website www.cinemadamare.com and join us our official page on Facebook.